Arizona Continuing Education COURSE
Assistance Animals and Fair Housing in Arizona (Fair Housing Issues)
Emotional support animals, service animals, and reasonable accommodation. How does the concept of reasonable accommodation as it relates to fair housing law and assistance animals play out in Arizona property management? Must a property manager accept a tenant's emotional support animal, and under what conditions? What proof can a property manager or landlord require of a tenant who claims a need for an emotional support animal? How do the federal and Arizona fair housing acts apply, and where do they stop? This is a topic that sparks questions around what the laws are and how and when they apply in cases of individuals with assistance animals.
This three-hour course explores the issues and options for landlords and property managers surrounding assistance animals, helping real estate professionals recognize scenarios in which the fair housing and disabilities laws apply and helping to ensure that individuals with disabilities have equal access to housing.
- The evolution of federal and Arizona fair housing and disability-related law
- A comparison of the Americans with Disabilities Act/Arizonans with Disabilities Act and the federal and Arizona fair housing acts, and a diagnosis of when the various laws apply
- Definitions related to disability and the types of assistance animals
- How to work with clients with assistance animals
- How to handle requests for reasonable accommodations or modifications
- Activities and scenarios to reinforce key concepts